Football Club Management Simulation

HomeSiteLatest imagesLog inRegister

and who says football hasnt gone mad

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

and who says football hasnt gone mad Empty
PostSubject: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jun - 20:12

on a day where two championship managers have departed their current clubs i found this on the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Football_League_managers

take the top 5 out and it border lines on a joke,

our Nigel who has only just served 2 thirds of his contract is the 17th longest serving manager in the Football league and is currently the 3rd longest serving manager in the championship.

football has truly gone mad.

are u shitting me 2 and half years and hes one of the longest serving managers, total utter madness.

Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSat 18 Jun - 20:55

Results business.

Very unforgiving.

Unless you find someone like Nigel for Derby, there will always be a quick turnover if results aren't that good.

What makes Clough so good for Derby is that you know he has the best interests of the club at heart, and isn't out for any quick fixes.
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSat 18 Jun - 23:41

did they sack him? i think keeping derby up is an achievment in itself.

If i were derby i'd go looking for someone like Karl Robinson from MK dons. though he might still be a little too young for the championship yet, he's done a decent job at stadium:MK. or maybe Paul Tisdale who keeps exceeding expectations at St James' Park year on year. he'd probably be my number 1 candidate actually, a good age and enough experience to suggest he deserves a crack at the next level.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun - 0:24

Im happy with Nigel,

hes had to reduce a crippling 18m wage budget down to below 8m - which hes done.

hes had to loose his top scorer in the last two transfer windows, hulse then commons.

i challenge any club or manager to do just that and not struggle.

dont get me wrong this has been our lowest season to date and the locals got very restless to say the least but at least now the board seem to be investing something back into the squad

this year i think we will see some progress, might only be top half but on the last 8,9 or 10 woeful seasons thats a marked improvement.

just not yet another god foraken relegation battle please.
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun - 12:30

the trouble with nigel is his expression and personality do not 'vibe' well. he looked like a man in a relegation battle by about the 15th August last year when you lost your first two games.

i'd stick with him personally. if he's given a better budget then there's no reason why derby fans shouldnt expect some sort of return for an investment in the team by the board. and that's what is lacking. when was the last time you bought anyone even? if he isn't given any £££ then i can't see how anyone at your place has reason for getting on his back. turkeys dont vote for christmas do they?

Nigel isn't a turkey but what does anyone expect from a team with the 5th lowest net spend / budget of all the teams in the championship? sure, Ian Holloway pulled it off with Blackpool and it seems every chairman is following that sort of stupid ambition and think they can cut corners and expect promotion / top six. Ian Holloway did what he did because of his personality and drive. Chairmen need to realise that not all managers are Ian Holloway, and if they think they should be they should take off the rose tinted ones and realise you have to invest in order to achieve. 99% of the manager's in the football league are not that special / lucky / gifted (as your table of longest serving manager's proves). You need something to work with first.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun - 18:10

Agree completely,

I think the problem is that at every single club u have a proportion of fans that will just demand I stant results even if the manager hasnt had a pot to pee in.

I think with derby and Nigel last year it was really frustration felt by the fans, loosing all four local derby games, getting knocked out of the fa cup by non league coupled with yet another year of looking over our shoulders at the delegation trap door while our neighbours forest were knocking on the promotion door all year.

Then leicester decided to start spending on loan signings in the likes of yak and Kamara from the premiership and I think the even the most patient derby just started to ask the question what the fucks going off at board level - where's the money?

Nigel certainly has dropped more than a few tactical howlers but I still believe this will be the first year he can be properly judged
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun - 19:23

Small club.

Never reach the heights of the bigger clubs............ lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun - 19:46

It's a good point Tom. It's a wonder Will chose to support Derby when he's from Reading!.

Nothing like supporting your local club is there..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun - 20:20

Well from the ages of 0-8 reading was my home.

but when i was introduced to the world of crash barriers, turnstiles and Terracing i was living in derby

all my dads side are Derby so i think thats good enough reason.

small club, lol
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun - 22:54

what i dont get is the 'mighty' rams still pull in 27,000 a home game. attendance wise that's right up there with leeds? you've got this parachute money still raining down on you (i'm surprised they bothered to give it to you after such a pitiful performance in the top flight). now...where is all the money going? sure, robbie cabbage was on 30k a week but he's gone now so your top earner must be.....nathan tyson?

questions must be asked first at the board. derby havn't struck me as a badly run club money wise...i mean, even in the immediate post-maxwell days you signed craig short for £2.5m? and thats back in '93? so where is all the investment? i cant see too many players in your squad that look like they are on big bucks. i'd imagine your wages are under or close to 200k a week now cabbage is gone. doncaster are only just shy of that and they only pull in....13,000?

hmmm.....

derby definitely have the small club mentality about them these days, even if they think they're a big club. just goes to show you cant judge a club by its fan base.
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun - 23:10

Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jun - 11:17

cheers lol!

One club city, thats why! Rolling Eyes

Just to make sure the lid is completely off this can of worms, havn't real big clubs like Forest won the European Cup? tongue

Over to you Willy...... Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jun - 11:37

Will@Fulham wrote:
Well from the ages of 0-8 reading was my home.

but when i was introduced to the world of crash barriers, turnstiles and Terracing i was living in derby

all my dads side are Derby so i think thats good enough reason.

small club, lol

Did you miss that my comment was a thinly veiled jibe at "Scouser Tom"...

(go on..tell me he was born on the Wirral)
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jun - 12:18

maybe he was kidknapped at birth, abducted by aliens and landed in notts?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jun - 12:26

might explain a few things Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 19:58

Rich@Leicester wrote:

Did you miss that my comment was a thinly veiled jibe at "Scouser Tom"...

(go on..tell me he was born on the Wirral)

Didn't miss it. Ignored it. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 20:40

Tom@Charlton wrote:
cheers lol!

One club city, thats why! Rolling Eyes

Just to make sure the lid is completely off this can of worms, havn't real big clubs like Forest won the European Cup? tongue

Over to you Willy...... Wink

knobhead lol!

weve got 2 other football league clubs in our county.

Burton Albion & chesterfield, which is at least equivalent than Forest have in County and Mansfield.

Weve finshed and spent the vast majority of the last 10 seasons in the bottom 6-7 of our repsective leagues and last year only 'top 6 all year' leeds got a marginal (500 fans) higher average atttendence last year.

not to mention there might be another 3 form nottingham jumping on the bandwagon.

if we get and stay in that top 6 for a period of time we'll average 28k without batting an eye lid.

top 2 challenge to capture the fans imagination (very very unlikely) but IF, then we'll be knocking on the 30k door.

iv got to be honest as well for a side that were top 6 all year and spent a bit of time knocking on the top 2s door, the knobheads down the road really let themselves down, average attendence of 23k.....not really good enough is it.

Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 21:47

What makes me laugh is the fact you genuinely believe that having Burton and Chesterfield in the same COUNTY, puts you on a level playing field fan wise with all other clubs.

A county is a big big area, unlike having two clubs in a city, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Liverpool etc

Fact is people who live in and around the city of derby have little choice. That doesn't make you a big club.

Wind him up and watch him go.... affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 22:14

i love this,

were only a big club cos were a one club city.

so's half the championship

leister, Hull, southampton, pompy, ipswich,norwich, leeds, cardiff, swansea, coventry, boro, blackpool thats just off the top of my head

we piss on half of those turnout wise and comfortably have higher than the rest.(bar the dirties)

All clubs have reasons why there big or small, some is unrivaled success for a long period of time, some is recent excessive spending, some is geographical, some is historical.

Historically Derby has always been a football city, (see brian clough autobiography)
cricket and rubgy dont get a sniff.

whatever our reason.

to be the 12/13th highest supported club in the country after 10 years of shite in a season where yet again where in late January our own manager said that the aim of the season was survival nothing more, i think is a hell of an achievement.

nothing like aiming high Nige

its our only achievement mind.

derby derby derby!!!!
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 22:14

will lets face it. beijing gouan average 37,000 crowds a week in the chinese league. thats the second highest in asia (after the osaka urawa diamonds). there's a reason why the numbers are so high and it clearly isn't a footballing one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 22:22

Stuart@Roma wrote:
will lets face it. beijing gouan average 37,000 crowds a week in the chinese league. thats the second highest in asia (after the osaka urawa diamonds). there's a reason why the numbers are so high and it clearly isn't a footballing one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing

isnt china one of the most densley populated countries in the world?

i dont think derby compares to Osaka in fact looking at it osaka appears to be 10 times the population.

so that makes us even more impressive lol!!

derby is not a big city, population of 230k, so to get the turn outs that we do isnt bad.

Derbyshire is, but then we opening up a whole can of worms over catchment areas and the like.
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 22:25

on a scale of popularity, the english league has around 8 in 10 people (in the country) interested in the sport nationallty. in china its about 1 in 10. derbyshire population is what a million? so 800k of them are interested. beijing has 19m and maybe 1.8m people interested. there's a difference though between interested and actually going to the games. so, yes i suppose given everything its a fucking miracle that anybody in derbyshire bothers. congratulations.

Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 22:30

Stuart@Roma wrote:
on a scale of popularity, the english league has around 8 in 10 people (in the country) interested in the sport nationallty. in china its about 1 in 10. derbyshire population is what a million? so 800k of them are interested. beijing has 19m and maybe 1.8m people interested. there's a difference though between interested and actually going to the games. so, yes i suppose given everything its a fucking miracle that anybody in derbyshire bothers. congratulations.

Wink

its all we've got!

if the football was half decent or we had anything other than nathan tyson to get excited about then i wouldnt even be bothered by it.

let me have my moment Basketball
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 23:11

My point is that clubs aren't a 'big' club just because they have a lot of fans.

Having a big attendance doesn't make you a big team. It is a number of factors in my eyes, geography not being one of them.

Derby are up there, I just like winding will up about it. Their history, ground etc, not just the fact they have nobody else nearby to rival their fanbase.

None of the clubs you listed are big clubs either apart from Leeds, IMHO

Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

PostSubject: Re: and who says football hasnt gone mad   and who says football hasnt gone mad Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 23:12

what about ilkeston town?
Back to top Go down

and who says football hasnt gone mad
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next