Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 31 Jul - 12:35

This is mainly aimed at Paul, but also whoever else wants to get involved.

From reading a post you did, regarding taking over at St Johnstone and looking for more competition, it ran through my head about having a third team (nothing to do with current clubs).  Also having mentioned missing the chase etc of being in the lower leagues, I wondered if it would be possible to start up a new project.

Spoke to Will about it and he agrees that it would be fantastic if we could take charge of say, Mansfield and Lincoln in the lower leagues, ideally in Banstead's league (but I know you have just got promoted from the Spartan league) and start up from scratch. 

There would have to be guidelines though, and we have discussed various rules that we would have to adhere to, whether this be through the game or a 'gentlemans agreement'.

For example, friendlies be limited to 3 a turn, no contact at all with already managed clubs (eg Charlton + Nantes), no third party deals, players only sold for cash in first season, no loans allowed from any club.

These would be difficult for Paul to implement, but if we/all agree to stick by them it would work.

I know it is not allowed at the minute to go outside parent/feeder into a third club, but maybe this could be allowed?
Granted it might cause more inputting for Paul, and might be too much work but I personally would be very excited to be able to do this and would create a brand new exciting challenge to live within miniscule means.

Is this possible Paul, would you allow it? Anyone else interested?
Back to top Go down

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 31 Jul - 12:50

As iv mentioned to a few, I still love this game, that there is no question.

but I don't half miss the chase for that little gem, working on a shoestring budget and seeing the those young talents be sold for the good of the club - that for me is true football management and the part of the game I love and really don't get so much anymore.

The idea of bringing a club up from absolute scratch really inspires me.

As discussed with tom, would be great to manage purely - so no silly loans of a worldy, no dealings/interactions with my current clubs.

I want to be able to go out there and try and pick up an Dean Moxey or an Alan Judge, a Chris Cohen or something else like that.

cant think or anything better,

This potentially could also open up a whole new market for players that arnt even close to peoples sides, and create a new found demand for them.

maybe u could have something where if u take that club to the football league u have to resign them and start again, to totally avoid any conflict of interest.

maybe, maybe not. although with attendences of 2,3,4k , and ground capcitys of around 10k that may not happen for a long long long time.

do like the sound of it though.
Back to top Go down
Paul Hemmings
Games Master
Games Master
Paul Hemmings

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 31 Jul - 13:10

In theory this is something we could do.

I would have to write some new rules into the game, whatever people deemed necessary, but yes it is do-able for next season if you want.

There is a separate Hellenic League made up of 4 divs of 8 teams ( 32 teams in total ) mostly non-league sides like Cheltenham, Halifax etc. They have their own cup as well, the FA Vase cup. I've never mentioned it before but I manage Stithians down there in the Hellenic third division.

Back to top Go down

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 31 Jul - 13:52

having thought about it maybe the idea of being able to reach the promised land of the football league would be a nice goal to have.

maybe couldn't go any higher than the championship.

or once reached the championship or league one then its time to start again and try and take another team that's fell on hard times to pastures new.

We were looking at Mansfield Town and Lincoln City as a nice little lower division rivalry.

would be ace if others joined in too, paul would finally be able to house Enoc Shuwomni at a club lol

and don't get me started on the bun fight that there would be for the Irish Gerrard Jeff Hendrick!!!

could be awesome, basic turn, nothing to hurt the pocket too much, could be very interesting.

might be our way of getting Roberto over from Italy finally
Back to top Go down
Paul Hemmings
Games Master
Games Master
Paul Hemmings

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 31 Jul - 14:01

it terms of promotion to the Premiership that would have to be handle the same way as feeder clubs, ie not allowed in the Premiership.
Back to top Go down
Rob@Barcelona
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Rob@Barcelona

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 31 Jul - 14:11

Will@Fulham wrote:

might be our way of getting Roberto over from Italy finally

It certainly would.  This is what I've been waiting for.
Back to top Go down
Jamie@Watford
International 94/94
International 94/94

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 31 Jul - 18:10

Sounds excellent to me!
Back to top Go down

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 31 Jul - 18:20

I would have to manage Poole Town if I joined this
Back to top Go down

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeTue 13 Aug - 22:12

I would love this... However... 
This will rely on an absolute encyclopaedic knowledge of lower league football from Paul. 
I've watched Notts County for 25 years and would consider my knowledge of leagues 1, 2 and non-league to be up there with anyone's... And I have no idea how on earth I would structure such a challenge. 
Id love it though if I could take Arnold Town or Eastwood, but I think the key here is the limit in the players of certain CR that won't drop any lower that XYZ league..
It's still a minefield to manage though. 
I'm telling you that Niel Bishop is an absolute workhorse... But without my specific knowledge of the player would Paul know that, and that's a player who has spent most of his career in league 2, league 1 and now the championship, let alone a league two player. I think we're asking an awful lot of Paul here...
Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Paul Hemmings
Games Master
Games Master
Paul Hemmings

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 14 Aug - 8:59

Rich@Leicester wrote:
This will rely on an absolute encyclopaedic knowledge of lower league football from Paul. 
I've watched Notts County for 25 years and would consider my knowledge of leagues 1, 2 and non-league to be up there with anyone's... And I have no idea how on earth I would structure such a challenge. 
Id love it though if I could take Arnold Town or Eastwood, but I think the key here is the limit in the players of certain CR that won't drop any lower that XYZ league..
I'm telling you that Niel Bishop is an absolute workhorse... But without my specific knowledge of the player would Paul know that, and that's a player who has spent most of his career in league 2, league 1 and now the championship, let alone a league two player. I think we're asking an awful lot of Paul here...
Thoughts?
you talking about player reviews ?
Back to top Go down

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 14 Aug - 9:07

Paul Hemmings wrote:
Rich@Leicester wrote:
Thoughts?
you talking about player reviews ?
Yeah pretty much. How to get the stats right on players that are certainly not household names. Would we all end up just filling our sides with the Michael Bridges of this world?. I love the idea though
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 14 Aug - 9:31

With all due respect, I think we'd be aiming higher than Notts players?

Championship/lower end Premier League would be more realistic, kind of like Paul has done to great effect at Banstead.

Completely agree regarding the lower league players though, would be very hard to find material for a review.
Back to top Go down

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 14 Aug - 9:33

So if you're allowing Premier League Players in.... where do you draw the line?.
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 14 Aug - 9:35

Think all players will be allowed, but all the best affording their wages on a shoestring budget.
Back to top Go down

A new challenge... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new challenge...   A new challenge... Icon_minitimeWed 14 Aug - 9:41

I see Richies point.

But I can't imagine even Paul's knowledge stretches across the globe currently when doing reviews

In sure there's plenty of reviews he does that are based purely on the info that we send him, so as long he knows the standard they're plying their trade at that's always a good starting point for pt cr's
Back to top Go down

A new challenge...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Championship Football Play By Mail PBM :: General Game Discussion-
Jump to: