Tom@Charlton
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

End of season press conference Empty
PostSubject: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeTue 10 Sep - 11:15

Following the close of another great season of CF, fans are eager to hear the thoughts of their team's managers regarding the season just passed.

1.  Can you give a brief description of your season and how you saw it unfold.

2.  Did you see it as a successful one?

3.  What was your result of the season?

4.  And the result that most disappointed?

5.  Your best piece of business, player wise, this season?

6.  Anyone you bought failed to live up to expectations?

7.  Who was your player of the season?

8.   Who was the league's player of the season?

9.  Any teams/players in your league disappoint you this season?  Who failed to live up to expectations?

10.  What areas are you looking to strengthen over the summer?

11.  Who was your manager of the season?

12.  Who, in your academy, is banging on your door for an opportunity in the first team?

13.  Which team, in your eyes, was the surprise package of the season?

14.  Have you any regrets this season?  What is the biggest?

15.  Who do you expect to be in the mix next year for the title?

16.  Have you had a constant bogey team?

17.  In the last few games of the season, are there any players that played their last game for you?

18.  Finally, what are your expectations for next season?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeTue 10 Sep - 16:52

Leicester did the job. I was a touch worried at the beginning of the season, a poor home draw and an away draw to Liverpool saw us struggle to get early points on the board and wasn't the start I was looking for. However, things settled down nicely and we ended comfortably as champions. I think the achievement is lessened though by the lack of a human manager in the Championship. The reality managers generally have really put up a good show, and the isolation hasn't been too much of a hindrance of my enjoyment of the game, however I do see the achievement of winning the title as less significant that it perhaps could otherwise have been. Looking forward to scrapping with the big boys next year, and as Phil's Arsenal handed out a 5-0 lesson in the Cup semi-final, I think Leicester will have it all on to stay up, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge. 

As for Betis, my target as the start of the season was to finish 3rd. I had no ambitions of disrupting the status quo this season, so to be involved in the mix and leading the pack for so long, was a huge achievement for Los Verdiblancos. 

Absolutely. As described above. Championship for Leicester and FA Cup Semi. 3rd for Betis. Must try and do something more significant in Europe next season. 

For Leicester, I think the cup quarter final win over Fulham will never be forgotten as the most up and down last 10 mins ever. In the league, perhaps beating Spurs away. The championship didnt get much tougher than that this season. 

For Betis, 2-1 home win over Barcelona was very sweet. 

For Leicester, the general abject showing in Europe. But for a single result, the 5-0 pasting by Arsenal. Not that I'm saying we should have won, but I was very disappointed that the foxes didnt make more of a game of it. We rolled over and had our tummies tickled. 

For Betis, without doubt a 1-0 away defeat to Celta Vigo. Don't get me wrong, Celta were by no means the worst side in Spain, I think they finished 4th I might be wrong. But to go there and not pick up three points cost us dearly, had we won that game, from memory Betis would have been 4 points clear of the other two at that stage. Which might have put a very different slant on the visit to the Nou Camp. I had no choice but to go all out to win that game, as Barca's goal difference was so much better than ours... had we beaten Celta Vigo, I could have gone to Barca looking for a draw rather than having to win. 

There's a few I'm happy with. Bringing Robbie Keane in to Leicester for a million quid helped get us over the line. Invaluable experience and excellent movement with him in the side. Azpilicueta on loan has also proved exceptional value for erm...money. 

At Betis, in terms of the future, Vlad Chiriches was a super signing as was Samir Handanovic, both super value for money. I think getting Blaszczykowski was perhaps the most pleasing signing. 

I've been a touch disappointed with Kaboul, but that's being perhaps a bit harsh. He's been in and out of the side. 

Vegard Forren is the flop at Betis who's now left. Having not played a minute for Southampton in real life, he arrived with a big reputation and left with his tail between his legs. 

Nasri at Leicester and probably Yarmolenko at Betis, although he's only emerged as a force at the back end of the season, so I'd give it to Ganso for consistency. 

Samir Nasri. And then take your pick from the Spanish boys, I think Yaya Toure had a big impact on the game at AM for Matt, I came with a plan to stop Alonso... and then got battered by Toure and the wingers. Navas deserves a mention too. 

9.  Any teams/players in your league disappoint you this season?  Who failed to live up to expectations?

Liverpool made lots of noise in the early season. Gerrard was quiet and I expected him to tear up trees in the championship. Was anyone quiet in la liga...not really, it was a humdinger of a season. 

Leicester need a DY and Betis need a CB who isn't on loan and a bit of cover at LB. 

Probably Will. I know how much though he puts into it, and I'm delighted that his theory of "you can't win anything in this game if you're not playing FAS" has been proven wrong. 

12.  Who, in your academy, is banging on your door for an opportunity in the first team?

Wilfried Zaha has already had a taste of first team action, which led to him somehow asking for an incredible amount of money to pen a new long term deal...so he better be banging on the door!

Real Betis. Am I allowed to say that?, I was very surprised!

Letting Raphael Varane leave. Howver, without Ganso, I wouldnt have been anywhere near as successful with Betis. 

England. - Fulham, Charlton, Plymouth. I think Ben will be hard to stop next year. His tinkering is surely coming to an end...He got very close in a turbulent season. 

Spain - Madrid, Barcelona....ahem... Betis. (gulp). 

Leicester - Charlton 
Spain - Madrid

17.  In the last few games of the season, are there any players that played their last game for you?

Leicester - no, but there's some who'll have to find new homes. Hutton, Fletcher, Andrews (The number 16 shirt will be retired) and Gibson will all be off. 

Betis - Chiriches, Friedel, Capoue will all be appearing in Foxes blue next season. 

Leicester - stay up on goal difference. 
Betis - Get closer to 2nd than this year... it's a big ask.
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeTue 10 Sep - 17:09

cheers Good read that Rich.
Back to top Go down
Rob@Barcelona
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Rob@Barcelona

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeTue 10 Sep - 23:53

For Inter everything was straightforward. Clear at the top of he League, cruising in the Cups then ... Higuain stopped scoring. It all became very tense and I lost a Cup semi and the Champions League final. On a positive Inter won every League they played in.

Boca ..... dominated. A second treble in 3 years. 

I exactly met my start of season goals. Close out a hat-trick of Serie A titles, not get knocked out at the group stage in the Champions League and win the treble with Boca. Losing the Champions League final was a bit gutting though.

Beating Barcelona (luckily) in the Champions League.

Any of the silly dropped points at the end of the season.

The sale of Jovetic.

No.

Higuain .... closely followed by Coentrao and Mati Fernandez or Vidal at Boca.

Higuain.

Ancona ..... a lot of talent in that team.

Right back possibly and squad depth at CB.

Rich for what he did with Betis or Phil for winning the Champions League. Close call.

El Shaarawy or De Sciglio.

Betis obviously.

That Champions League final......

Ancona, Juventus, Napoli and Milan.

No.

Jovetic who has already left.

A completely fresh tactic for both clubs and lots of goals. A season of re-building.
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeWed 11 Sep - 9:28

Thanks Rob, you had a great season!
Back to top Go down
Rob@Barcelona
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Rob@Barcelona

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeWed 11 Sep - 10:39

Tom@Charlton wrote:
Thanks Rob, you had a great season!
I suppose I met my objectives but was obviously disappointed to lose a final (although was outplayed by Phil's Arsenal who were superb). Think I had Fulham and Barcelona on the way to the final so probably thought the hard work had been done .....

Also the schoolboy league was pretty epic. Your team is outstanding so that was as much fun as competing in Serie A. And next season both Inter and Boca are in the top division so will be good to see how Paredes, Vergara, Vadillo etc get on against the top schoolboy teams.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeWed 11 Sep - 11:16

Anyone else think that this is just a booking?... lol

Click this link...

surely this is just reckless... Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeWed 11 Sep - 19:39

Following the close of another great season of CF, fans are eager to hear the thoughts of their team's managers regarding the season just passed.

Surprising and unforgettable 

Started off strongly opening up a five point lead at one point,things were looking excellent with the new look back four going 11 games in all competions without conceding. But this didnt last and a mid season wobble soon took place. In the most competitive of leagues this lead was whittled away to the point where a title challenge had all been given up. To win the title relying on other results was very fortunate but an unforgettable way to win it.
The European campaign was also a fantastic experiance only missing out on penalties to robs excellent inter side in a truly pulsating game 

Very

A 1-0 win at the emirates was at the time totally unexpected

Without doubt the away defeat to the now relegated united - my reality manager bogey side

Kyle walker was the last player that was signed which was during the close season off last year, he has endured a bit of a learning curve but he's a cracking talent and still in his early 20's and we expect him to be our first choice right back for years to come

Last season - gervinho 

James Milner, jimmy pulled us through a lot of games when we were up against it and was a constant performer throughout the year be it on the left of midfield or through the middle

Wilkshire was pretty inspirational and probably edges it for me despite the very intense competition

Maybe not expectations as they only got up last year and that first year is all about survival but for the personnel available I think Watford could have done more, I'm sure mr Tyler will be expecting to get more from his talented troops next year

Would love to bring a top end goalkeeper in and am prepared to break the bank for one, but sadly they don't drop off trees

Tough, rich for his escapades with betis and running the big two all the way when he shouldn't be anywhere bear them, Tom for putting the the fa cup into the valley trophy room and coming within a whisker of a league and cup double in his maiden premiership season, phil for bringing the European cup back to blighty ...... Give it Tom by a whisker

I wouldn't say banging at the door but Andy weimann and victor Moses will comfortably move up the pecking order

Charlton, there not a surprise anymore though

None, would liked to have pushed rob a bit harder for Hugo lloris but if its not meant to be its not meant to be 

Everyone bar rich, and that isn't a gripe at him. If he stay up it will be a fantastic achievement having missed out for so long on the money that we get.
I expect jaimie to have a stronger campaign as he started turning in some much improved results come the end of the season.
Anyone can beat anyone and now it's all about fine margins more than ever

Without doubt it's gaz, only beaten him once ever lost all the others, can't say I'm not happy to see the back of united either old Trafford was a particurly sticky patch for us over the last few seasons

Carlos cuellar and Wilson palacios have been excellent servers to the club but have now been moved onto pasteurs new. Rodwell will fill the void with potentially sakho,Erikson or both making a one way journey to the Capitol 

Be as competitive as we possibly can, if that's enough to pick up a trophy then fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Rich@Birmingham
Championship 90/90
Championship 90/90
Rich@Birmingham

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeWed 11 Sep - 23:02

Similar to Will really, had a decent start, few wins on the board then one bad result led to a bit of tinkering which completely ballsed up the middle of the season before a settled team and tactic saw us go so close to a title that looked completely out of reach midway through the season.

Gremio had an appalling first 15 weeks of the season but i think i'm correct in saying they were the form team in Brazil over the last quarter of the season so high hopes for next year!

Rubbish performances in both cup competitions not withstanding, to come 2nd after that season is very pleasing.

Gremio is a hard one, not in terms of league position but in terms of finding a team identity, very happy.

Won the World Cup with Brazil so cant do any better than that. 

My win against Fulham at the back end of the season was very pleasing, also week 1's win against Plymouth.

Gremio getting a hard fought 0-0 with Santos stands out.

0-0 against Everton which ultimately cost the title. 

Any result in the first 3/4 of the season with Gremio Sad 

Think it would have to be getting Rafael in at RB, set for years, super player and getting better, easily in the top 2/3 RB in the Prem. James Wilson at academy level as well.

Januzaj at Gremio is very pleasing, looks like he has a very promising future.

Not really due to lack of activity!

Big Fellaini for Birmingham, marshalled the midfield superbly all season, when not banned anyway Very Happy 
Konoplyanka for Gremio, even when i was being ripped apart on a weekly basis he always put a Superb shift in, will only get better too, ask Kyle Walker !

Milner, without him Will wouldn't have won the league. Might not be the obvious choice but he was that important it cant be anyone else.

Take your pick from Santos!

Possibly Watford but it was such a tight league i think everybody had their ups and downs and they will only get better next season.

Gremio in Brazil.

Always looking at all positions but getting the right player for the right price/deal is key. Both sides. Happy with Soldado in at Gremio.

Loads of good candidates for this, Rich for his heroics at Betis and Leicesters rise to the promised land, Rob for his continued dominance in Argentina and a 3rd title on the spin at Internazionale, Phil for putting up a title challenge in England, getting to the FA Cup final and winning the Champions League as well as the French league title and getting to the World Cup final with France and Will for winning the most competitive league in years.

Think i'm gonna give it to Phil, Kendal bias notwithstanding of course haha!

Not as many as i would like, possibly Henriquez.

Gotta be Charlton i would say.

Pissing about with tactics, think there's a few who could say that tho.

Everybody, Gaz, Geoff, Jamie, Mark will all do better, Rich coming up with a good team too. Will be just as tight, probably even worse Twisted Evil 

Not really *touches wood*

Mensah will not play next season, Jonny Evans to start with big Brede Hangeland.

Champions.
Back to top Go down
Phil@Watford
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Phil@Watford

Order Sheet
CLUB:

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeWed 11 Sep - 23:19

Arsenal: Well i had a great start to the season was right up there with the leaders and was leading at one point but poor form mid season kicked in and even went 4 games without scoring a single goal in the league damaged my chances of winning, CL Winner though.. absolutely delighted. Lost in Cup Final and World Cup Final.... Quite a few finals though which gives me confidence. 

Lille: Arrival of Sneijder was influential to winning the league, wasnt even on the cards at the start of the season. And a Final in the french cup isnt a bad showing either.

Cant' complain to much!

Arsenal: 2-1 CL Final Smile

Lille: Couple of 8-1/8-2 results cant argue.

World Cup Final, didnt even put a fight up vs Brazil. 

Arsenal: Very quite season in terms of transfers i think, probs Samba looks to be a real Rock in defence. 

Lille: Sneijder

Will have to give more time. 

Arsenal: Hard to say, Rooney? Walcott?

Lille: Sneijder

England: Tough again, probs agree with Rich and say Milner ever reliable to put in a great shift and get a goal if needed.

France: Sneijder Smile

Trending, Watford... Huge team of talent. 

Probs DY or LB.

Mine would probs be either Will, or Tom 50/50 so someone can flip a coin. 

Not sure if there Academy but Carl Jenkinson, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Szczesny

Betis!

Swapping from 442 to 433 Sad

Everyone? I cant even pretend to imagine England next season. 

Fulham, Watford? 

Distin, Javis

Maybe go one step further in some of the finals i reached last year, but to be involved in as many finals again would be nice Smile
Back to top Go down
Ben@Plymouth
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeThu 12 Sep - 12:43

1.  Can you give a brief description of your season and how you saw it unfold.

Plymouth - A transitional year and a much needed squad revamp. Manage to clear out a number of players and replace them with younger stars. Nice to have still been in the mix come the end of the season even with the disruption.

Lyon - Tried to build on last year and for most of the season was either leading or just off the pace. Lack of squad depth cost me, something which am aiming to rectify this season!

2.  Did you see it as a successful one?

For both team it was always going to be a tough year and decided to make some significant changes which impacted on both clubs. Probably give both sides a 7/10

3.  What was your result of the season?

Beating Fulham for the first time at Plymouth and beating PSG away with Lyon

4.  And the result that most disappointed?

Losing 1-0 in the CL quarter final to Phil thanks to a last minute header.
Losing mostly every European game with Lyon

5.  Your best piece of business, player wise, this season?

Bringing in Aguero which allow JW to move to TM

Bringing in Willian on loan at Lyon - a super talent!

6.  Anyone you bought failed to live up to expectations?

Madzukic

7.  Who was your player of the season?

Wilshere and Ibrahimovic

8.   Who was the league's player of the season?

Not too sure tbh, Milner seems to be the common choice - very underrated!

9.  Any teams/players in your league disappoint you this season?  Who failed to live up to expectations?

Probably myself on paper.

10.  What areas are you looking to strengthen over the summer?

Bought in Fernandinho at AM or DY and Jovetic in at ST to provide some strength up top. I ideally want one more.

At Lyon bought in Xavi to provide some experience to the midfield. I am looking at a number of targets to strengthen things out wide and up top.

11.  Who was your manager of the season?

Some great candidates - Phil, Rob, Will but I would say Tom for marshalling his Charlton team to an exceptional campaign.

12.  Who, in your academy, is banging on your door for an opportunity in the first team?

Probably Inigo Martinez at Lyon and possibly Gedion Zelalem in the cup

13.  Which team, in your eyes, was the surprise package of the season?

Charlton

14.  Have you any regrets this season?  What is the biggest?

Not really, although would have been nice to go further in the CL.

15.  Who do you expect to be in the mix next year for the title?

Could be any number of teams tbh in England. Going to be mighty close. 

In France, the usual four teams I reckon will be fighting it out

16.  Have you had a constant bogey team?

It has varied from season to season but would say Fulham and Lille

17.  In the last few games of the season, are there any players that played their last game for you?

Stephen Ireland - although I said that last year I think...

18.  Finally, what are your expectations for next season?

Who knows but would like to be in the mix for some trophies come the end of the season
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeSun 15 Sep - 9:44

1. Can you give a brief description of your season?
Rubbish only won league on points and lost 2 of the last 3 league games.

Yes but only just.

Scoring ten in one game.

Final day loss to bayern.

Prob my next deal coming up.

Not really.

Ronaldo especially when he moved to Tm.

No idea.

?

Buildings.

Didn't pay enough attention sorry.

Gotze.

Didn't pay enough attention.

No.

Bayern.

Berlin.

Yep.

League, cup, Europe. Treble.
Back to top Go down
Iain@RealMadrid
Premier League - 92/92
Premier League - 92/92
Iain@RealMadrid

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeTue 24 Sep - 14:59

1.  Spanish cup winners, 2nd in La Liga and quarters in Europe
2. Not really
3. Beating Barca in the cup
4. Losing to Schalke at home
5. For many reasons but getting Falcao and reducing my squad size
6. Still believe Iniesta and Fabregas should bring more to the party
7. Messi, Silva........ But went with Pique this season
8. Villa or Llorenta at Barca, Ganso had a good one at Betis 
9. Real Madrid
10.Back room staff and a few youth players
11.all the English boys do well, Jamie and Rob know there stuff and then there is Matt
12.Nasastic, Lamela, James Rodriguez
13.Betis wasn't a surprise as they have a good a manager and squad, nothing surprises me in this game
14.not winning the treble
15.same old! same old! Betis and Seville to get better
16.not really, would like to beat Barca next season
17.nope, sorted the squad out mid season
18.treble
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: End of season press conference   End of season press conference Icon_minitimeWed 25 Sep - 8:39

Well, what a season.  Started off with the thought of survival the main objective yet ended the season one win away from a domestic double.  Delighted to win the cup, shame about the league but one step too far this season.
Nantes had a largely disappointing season, although they did win the French cup and get to the Europa League final. Was always gonna be hard to emulate last seasons treble.

Charlton - Hell yeah
Nantes - No, because of standards set last year

Plymouth away 1-0, I think.

Last day of the season without a doubt.

Stevie.

Not really, everyone played above and beyond expectations.

Probably Martin Kelly, punched well above his weight most of the season

Probably Milner, scored goals when Will needed them the most.

I guess Watford, but I sense their time is coming.  One of the best squads in the league, it is only a matter of time.

None really now.

Probably Rich for Betis, but also for getting Leicester up.  I know it was expected but sometimes that creates even more pressure and makes it harder.

Wisdom, Wanyama, Shaw, Sterling, Ibe.

Am I allowed to say me? If not, Betis I guess, although they did eventually finish third, to run the big boys fairly close was a great effort. 

Not winning the title. One win. 3 points.

Would be quicker to say who wouldn't be.  My dark horse next year is Man City, think Geoff is doing some great building work there.

That lot from the Cottage.

Not really.

After this season, quite high, but dreading second season syndrome....
Back to top Go down

End of season press conference
Page 1 of 1