Championship Football Play By Mail PBM

Football Club Management Simulation

HomeSiteLatest imagesLog inRegister

1st game of Football......

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

1st game of Football...... Empty
PostSubject: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 12:45

......that you saw live?

On the 5th of August, Phil and myself are going to watch Scholesy's testimonial and this will be the 1st game that he will have been to.

Just wondered what was the 1st match all you fella's went to?

Mine was at Old Trafford (obviously) against Arsenal in October 1990. This match went down in infamy for the massive brawl which resulted in United and Arsenal having points deducted. Wasn't very memorable apart from that lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 13:04

28 th April 1990 Chelsea v Everton in the old Shed End miles from the pitch,we won 2-1 was our first season back in the 1st division we ended up finishing 5th, It became quite apparent after that we would'nt finish fith regularly 11-14th was more like it. I still have the hat my dad bought me from that game and my love for Chelsea was born.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 13:34

Derby vs Oldham at the old BBG

Dullest game ever but as an impressionable 9 year old I was hooked, the rest is history

My most memorable during those early years was a night game vs Liverpool when dagliesh brought his all conquering side to the BBG, Craig Johnson and co were awesome, the only thing that Could match them was the atmosphere, which was simply electric

The baseball ground came into it's own for night matches and it was packed to the rafters, we drew 1-1 with them and when mike Forsyth burst through to get on the end of a cross to score the roof literally came off and landed somewhere near chadeston

Argggh the good old days
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 14:07

Remember listening to Chelsea on an old alarm clock with my dad and brothers when we 6-4 at the old baseball ground and will your right.....those were the days
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 14:41

Don't know why but going to football as a kid or even just listening to games on the radio with ur dad and brothers is just something that will never be beaten

We used to have my dads 1980s technics stereo in the back room, if derby were away from home we'd lock ourselves in the back room, away from mum and sisters from 1pm, turn the stereo up unessisarily loud and listen to the whole radio derby program through til 6pm and 5 lives sports report - we all know the music to that

I even went through a phase of recording on cassettes the match commentry for when derby played well and I could relive the glory, iv still got somewhere a cassette with derby v forest on it at the city ground , Colin foster scored with about two minutes to go for the red dogs b4 "Trevor hebbard cracked it like a bullet" in injury time to salvage us a point !!!

Also got radio derbys commentary of the home win against the red dogs and Graham Richards yelling " goal, goal, goal!! Pick that one out of the back of the net mark crossley"

Still get goosebumps just typing that!

Those tapes will come with me to my deathbed

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 14:52

ive done all the said things above lol me and my brother use to go to shops with are quid pocket money and fill are bag with more than a quids worth of penny sweets etc cos they could'nt be bothered to count it, Then sit at each end of the bed listening to the radio normally 5 live cos i dont live local to london,

On one of these afternoons always 3pm on sat til sky bitted in we got dicked 7-0 at Forest how times have changed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 15:06

Memories
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 16:07

Cant remember the year but it was Coventry City v Everton at Highfield Road.
Went up with my my dad, mate ryan and his dad. It was freezing!

Everton went 1-0 down to a David Busst header then Paul Rideout scored for us right in front of us. I remember it well cos i jumped up and cheered and forgot we were all sat in coventry seats! got away with it as we were so young lol.
Anyway, Noel Whelan danced around 4 players at the end of the game and smashed in a winner for Coventry, i remember being gutted and my dad even remembers it to this day, he always says he tought i was gonna cry my eyes out!

It was the following weekend that David Busst's career came to an end! Im sure you all remember that!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 17:05

I always remember watching the results come through on grandstand's vidiprinter and checking the scores on teletext, loved it!

Used to go to brunton park and turf moor a lot when I was younger as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 17:07

Every time the teletext page went up one, you knew there had been a goal and had to wait what felt like years for the page to change to see if it was your team that had scored lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 17:14

And then it would skip a page and ya had to wait even longer......ah memories!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 17:30

Good old ceefax, waiting for that screen to refresh and come round to the right page was a killer
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul - 11:20

my first game was Bournemouth v Leeds United 5th May 1990. it was memorable only for us being relegated on the final day and the destruction and violence that the away fans caused in the aftermath.
Back to top Go down
Mark@Newcastle
International 94/94
International 94/94
Mark@Newcastle

PostSubject: Re: 1st game of Football......   1st game of Football...... Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul - 13:16

Well, I'm almost old enough for flat caps and whippets but my first game was Stockport County v York City 1983/84 season and Mickey Quinn was our star striker....... we lost 2-0 but I fell in love.... no, not with Mickey Quinn..!

That was later when he scored a hattrick away against Crewe! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

1st game of Football......
Page 1 of 1