Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ben@Plymouth
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeFri 4 Nov - 23:57

Hi all,

In attempt to build some momentum leading into each week am going to try, time permitting, to do a preview each week of the Premiership games. Feel free to add previews for your own leagues or make your own predictions. Have hopefully tried to keep this quite balanced so your feedback would be good...

Week 2:

Man City vs Newcastle

The feature match of this week's fixtures brings together two of the league's top teams. Newcastle made a solid start against newly promoted Aston Villa last week with Brazilian Anderson becoming an immediate favourite on Tyneside, helping them to a 2-1 victory after Aleksander Kolarov had given them the lead. There are still questions over a new-look defence which is yet to be truly tested, although after another week at the club Serbian star Vidic should be more settled.

However, they travel to champions Manchester City. A 65th minute strike by new signing Didier Drogba helped them to a 1-nil win against newly promoted West Ham in week 1, and once again they showed their ability to take all 3 points whilst not playing their most fluid game. New signing Frank Lampard though showed his class with a solid performance and looks the key man for City this season.

I expect a close game, although a settled Manchester City side playing at home for the first time this season may just have the edge. Certainly not one to miss!

Plymouth vs West Ham

After some significant upheaval last season, losing their long-term manager half way through the campaign, Plymouth led by former Manchester United man Ben Wilson managed to finish second. However, after some significant pre-season transfer activity the squad is much changed. Coming off the back of a 3-1 drubbing by Fulham last week, Plymouth will be anxious to make amends against newly promoted West Ham. New signing Samir Nasri makes his debut in a new look formation and fans will be hoping him and the ever present Wayne Rooney can help them bring in 3 points this week.

West Ham were unfortunate to be pitted first up against champions Manchester City in week 1 and were unlucky not to pick up a point. It may be too big a task for them to take all 3 points from this game but against an Plymouth side under pressure a draw is certainly not off the cards. Much will rely on how Rolando Bianchi can lead their line and fans will be hoping he can open his account this weekend.

Reading vs Fulham

Reading open their home campaign against a confident and ever improving Fulham side. Reading will be disappointed to have squandered the lead twice last week against lead leaders Manchester United but showed moments of promise and Kevin Doyle will be looking to add to his tally this week.

However, even though Reading will have home advantage they come up against a Fulham side brimming with confidence having comprehensively beaten Plymouth 3-1 last week. Will Buckley has made some shrewd signings since last season and has recently stated that the world is their oyster if he can get Arjen Robben firing. The Dutchman opened his campaign last week and is the bookies favourite to get on the scoresheet again this week.

It wouldn't be a surprise if the team from London made it 6 points from 2 games although if it is anything like Reading's 1st game, expect a high scoring one.

Everton vs Manchester United

An early top of the table clash brings together an Everton side who never cease to amaze and a Manchester United team who are recovering well after having to cope with 3 managers in the space of 7 games last season. Everton opened their campaign with 3 points against a strong Birmingham side with wingers Ricardo Quaresma and Joe Cole both getting on the score sheet and much will rely on how well they can work the wings this week.

Manchester United look a real force going forward having put 4 past newly promoted Reading with Alberto Luque picking up two classy goals. However, they do look defensively suspect having conceded two easy goals last week and Everton will be looking to exploit any chance they can to get forward.

Certainly one to catch on Match of the Day on Saturday evening and I wouldn't be surprised to see this ending in a high-scoring draw.

Blackburn vs Birmingham

Blackburn were unlucky not to pick up all 3 points last week conceding a Tevez equaliser late in the game. As ever Roque Santa Cruz proved a hand-full and Birmingham will do well to keep him quiet this week. With Craig Bellamy ever present in a supporting role, Blackburn have a team ready to cause problems for many teams again this season.

Birmingham will be disappointed to have started the season with a home defeat but with the talent they have up front it would be a surprise if they failed to get on the scoresheet again this week. In Theo Walcott and Ashley Young they have two of England's biggest prospects and with rumours that they are in final discussions with Argentine Sergio Aguero I can only see them getting stronger and stronger as the season goes on.

A tough game for both teams and either manager might be happy to take a draw. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Birmingham nick this in what might be a tight game.

Aston Villa vs Arsenal

The final promoted side Aston Villa struggled last week against European Champions Newcastle and they face an equally uphill task this week against an Arsenal side who many are tipping to do fine things this season. However, in Ruud Van Nistelrooy they have an old pro who has the potential to cause problems for any defence and their season will rely heavily on his ability to get on the score sheet.

Arsenal were lucky last week to pick up a point thanks to stalwart Carlos Tevez who once again found them a goal when they needed one most. In Robin Van Persie they have one of the world's best strikers and the signings of Florent Malouda and Nani have only strengthen their attacking options. However, questions have been asked over an inexperienced defence, although the signing of Diarra will prove more than adequate protection.

It is difficult to see Aston Villa getting anything out of this game and an Arsenal win must surely be on the cards. However, nothing is certain in football and if you are a gambling man a draw might prove a useful bet.

Last edited by Ben@Plymouth on Sat 5 Nov - 0:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeSat 5 Nov - 0:02

This is great Ben, a good read. Hopefully you will have enough time to keep it up.

Anyone fancy volunteering to do a Championship one?

Tried to get a little excitement going too, with a prediction thread.

Last edited by Tom@Charlton on Sat 5 Nov - 0:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ben@Plymouth
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeSat 5 Nov - 0:03

Thanks mate. Hopefully if we can get a bit of momentum then others might jump on the bandwagon in their divisions...
Back to top Go down

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeSat 5 Nov - 10:59

love it Ben, great idea.

surely our own sky sports writer Richie M should do the championship.

come on Arjen do the biz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeSat 5 Nov - 16:15

Im the only one in my division so pointless......
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeSat 5 Nov - 16:47

join the club. oh.....in my case the only one in my division that doesn't have anything worth shouting about.
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeSat 5 Nov - 16:51

this week my feedback will read:

"no turn received. the assistant manager took charge this week and decided to fuck you over completely."

thing is...i got rid of my assistant manager so why does he still come back to haunt me?
Back to top Go down
Mark@Newcastle
International 94/94
International 94/94
Mark@Newcastle

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Nov - 12:04

Thanks for that Ben, interesting read...... hope that time allows you to continue it.
Back to top Go down
Phil@Watford
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Phil@Watford

Order Sheet
CLUB:

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Nov - 12:23

Amazing read, its always nice to see someone else's perspective of your fixtures, but also makes it disappointing if i manage to lose to villa when im expected to win Razz

i ditto everyones comments, hope to see this again next week Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Nov - 15:24

italy is so boring these days. i think i'll be ditching this lot end of the season tbh. im not even remotely interested anymore. id even rather watch a real life spanish league fixture than fill out my roma turn sheet, thats how bad it is. athletic bilbao are probably one of only two teams that can be bothered to turn up against barcelona. if you think spain is a boring league, try serie A in CF, it'll have you on the edge of your pillow....
Back to top Go down
Ben@Plymouth
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Nov - 16:27

Why don't you head to England Stu, would be interesting taking you on in the Premiership?
Back to top Go down
Ben@Plymouth
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 12:17

Presume turns have arrived today?
Back to top Go down
Phil@Watford
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Phil@Watford

Order Sheet
CLUB:

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 12:19

Rich@Brum got his, i lost to villa 2-1 but beat barca 3-2... how does that happen? lol.
does sound like real life arsenal though... haha.
Back to top Go down
Ben@Plymouth
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 12:22

That sounds exactly like the kind of thing Arsenal would do in real life lol!
Back to top Go down
Rob@Barcelona
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Rob@Barcelona

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 12:38

Any italian results?
Back to top Go down
Ben@Plymouth
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 14:55

Hi all did anyone apart from Rich@Brum get their turn today?
Back to top Go down
Rob@Barcelona
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Rob@Barcelona

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 15:15

No idea. I'm not home yet.
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 16:50

Just got mine! A very uninspiring 0-0 draw.

7 chances to 0, is something to hold onto I suppose!!

Good European result against a Prem side, couple of shocks though.
Back to top Go down
Rob@Barcelona
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Rob@Barcelona

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 18:25

It's taken 6 seasons but I believe I've actually got the squad I wanted. Chiellini and Higuain coming in have given me the strength in depth I've always been lacking. League win but a Champions League loss. Things could change now I can field Rossi and Higuain in every Cup game and Eto'o and Cavani in League games.
Back to top Go down

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 18:30

Got mine,Nice 2-0 win at Dirty Leeds keeping another clean sheet and my late entry to the Europa League resulting in a 1-1 draw with Berlin who scored in 90th minute grrrr

Sampdoria lost 3-1 against Inter but Sami Khedria came in for 15m so chuffed with that.
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 19:01

Seems the battle for Aguero rumbles on....
Back to top Go down

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 19:43

Indeed it does although i'm very confident he shall be mine Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 21:43

Got my turn, happy all round.
A 2-2 draw at home to Coventry and the signing of Landon Donovan from Chelsea.
Transfer list is a joke this week and ruining my chances of signing anyone!

Its all gone way too quiet for the likes of me in terms of signing players.

Boring.....
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 22:07

Feel a bit for you Ross, think it is the smallest its ever been.

Two weeks running now, the top transfers sheet has been a bit sparse too.

Seems most managers are happy with their squads, which means not a lot is available!

Not the best time to build a new side, but I'm sure you'll do fine.
Back to top Go down
Phil@Watford
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Phil@Watford

Order Sheet
CLUB:

Week 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week 2   Week 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov - 22:40

Just read my turn sheet, had 9shots vs villa's 4 that just isnt fair... i would have atleast expected a Draw!! silly arsenal lol.

But did manage to get Theo Walcott Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Week 2
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next